At a Glance
The module gives a book-by-book overview of a large part of the Old Testament, running from Genesis through to Ezekiel. The course is intended to provide both an overview of a good part of the OT, and to help you learn to interpret and teach the Old Testament, through a more in-depth analysis of six particular books from different parts of the OT. The module aims to draw links forward to the culmination of God’s work in Christ, to which the OT points, and to the significance of the OT for the lives of believers in Christ. Set aside 10 hours per week to read, reflect and pray your way through this seminary-level course.
Each lesson includes
- A set text to aide and guide your learning
- A high-level introduction to a group of books of the Old Testament
- An overview of a specific OT book, with further reading and reflections to introduce you to other OT books
- Interactive reflection and exercises to help you apply what you learn
This course is ideal for
- Existing or aspiring church leaders, those in specialist ministries, or church planters who want to know their way around the Old Testament
- People with busy schedules who want to grow in biblical understanding
- Church planters who want to appreciate the value of understanding the Bible and its implications
- Leadership teams and church planting core groups who want to grow in their ability to study, teach or preach the Old Testament
Work through an introduction to the Old Testament.
Brought to you by Crosslands, the Old Testament Introduction course is divided into 9 lessons::
- Lesson 1 – Genesis
- Lesson 2 – Exodus to Deuteronomy
- Lesson 3 – Joshua to 2 Samuel
- Lesson 4 – Ungraded Assignment
- Lesson 5 – 1 Kings to Nehemiah
- Lesson 6 – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel
- Lesson 7 – Esther to Song of Songs
- Lesson 8 & 9 – Graded assignment
Dr. Tim Chester
Tim Chester is a pastor of Grace Church in Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, a faculty member of Crosslands. He is the author of over 30 books and commentaries including You Can Change and A Meal with Jesus, as well as being co-author of Total Church.
Dr. Dan Strange
Dan Strange is Acting Principal at Oak Hill Theological College, lecturing in Culture, Religion and Public Theology and part of the Crosslands faculty. With a PhD from Bristol University, he leads a North London church and is married to Elly with seven children. His most recent monograph is For Their Rock is Not as Our Rock: An Evangelical Theology of Religions.
Revd. Dr. Tim Ward
Tim Ward teaches at Oak Hill Theological College and is a Crosslands faculty member, having previously taught at the Proclamation Trust Cornhill Training Course. Before that he was the pastor of a church in Leicestershire. He has written a book on the doctrine of Scripture.