Foundation: Engaging with Context
The gospel is the best guide to contextualisation. This course sets out timeless principles from Paul’s letter to the Corinthians before moving into a biblical view of urban, suburban and rural contexts. You will find practical help and exercises to think through how to speak the gospel into your neighbourhood.
At a Glance
This 9 lesson course leads you step by step through bible passages, key concepts, practical examples and exercises.
Pace yourself by setting aside 40 minutes a day, for 30 days, to read, reflect, and pray your way through the course.
Each lesson includes
- Insightful articles on Bible passages, doctrine and application
- Instructional videos
- Helpful illustrations
- Interactive reflection boxes to make and store your notes
This course is ideal for
- Christians who want to grow spiritually and who want to develop a gospel-centred approach to the subject
- Pastors with busy schedules, who want to grow in character, ministry skills and gospel direction
- Small groups who want to go deeper by studying in depth at home and then meeting together to discuss and share learning
- Leadership teams and church planting core groups, who want to set out and implement a biblical vision for their church
The gospel is not just the message; it is also the lens through which we can understand our context. These nine units challenge us and help us to contextualise without compromise.
- Unit 1. Principled Contextualisation
- Unit 2. Principled Pragmatism
- Unit 3. The Urban Challenge
- Unit 4. The Suburban Challenge
- Unit 5. The Rural Challenge
- Unit 6. Understanding Your Neighbourhood
- Unit 7. Understanding Other Gospel Stories
- Unit 8. Understanding The Challenge of the Gospel
- Unit 9. Understanding Your Church
Dr. Tim Chester
Tim Chester is a pastor of Grace Church in Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, a faculty member of Crosslands. He is the author of over 30 books and commentaries including You Can Change and A Meal with Jesus, as well as being co-author of Total Church.
Steve Timmis lives in Sheffield, England, where he is a pastor in The Crowded House. He is also the Executive Director of Acts 29. He has co-authored a number of books with Tim Chester, including Total Church, as well as authoring a couple all on his own – Gospel Centred Leadership and I Wish Jesus Hadn’t Said That!